Christ in the future cultural ages and next epochs
This page is an aspect in the study of the nature of the Christ being, see Christ Module 2 - Nature of the Christ being and this naturally follows afterThe Christ Impulse from the 1st to the 20th century.
- see Second Adam for Christ as future group soul of humanity, and the effect that works ongoing, but especially in the next sixth cultural age and the sixth epoch into the seventh epoch and beyond
Current fifth epoch
- period of the 19 centuries after the MoG: extinction of consciousness (or second crucifixion) of Christ as an angelic being on the etheric plane, will lead to appearance of 'Christ in the etheric' from the 20th century onwards (1913-05-02-GA152)
- for Christ in the etheric
- faculties and lecture references, see Schema FMC00.081 below
- experience reports and Discussion notes, see topic page
- from 2400 AD onwards, the forces towards an understanding of the Christ will only come from the Earth. Christ will work from the physical plane into men and will reveal himself on the physical plane in etheric form. The current 'Christ in the etheric' is a forebode of this. (1914-03-05-GA152). Note this start is about the middle of the future Oriphiel age (see Schema FMC00.239). This period of 800 years 2400-3200 would lead allmost into the important Sixth cultural age.
- Through the Mystery of Golgotha, a fourth faculty is and will be developing: memory, as in remembrance of previous lives (1914-03-07-GA152)
- see also the faculties as part of 'Christ in the etheric'( eg Schema FMC00.081), and the concept of the causal body (spirit self)
Sixth and seventh epochs
- The sixth epoch is the epoch of the Christ Impulse, especially the fifth to seventh cultural ages (see Schema FMC00.373A below).
- The seventh epoch probably represents the time of or after the Reunion of Sun, where Christ will live together with humanity on Earth+Sun, before the transition and pralaya towards Future Jupiter.
Future Conditions of Life (or rounds)
Schema FMC00.082 shows (linking into schema FMC00.047), the evolving relationship Man will have (or be able to develop) with the Christ
Schema FMC00.081 gives an overview of some of the expected faculties related to the appearance of 'Christ in the etheric' due to the arising new clairvoyance. As depicted in the GA191 BBD (see eg FMC00.013) this clairvoyance will be a mixture of wisdom with moral consciousness, hence the elements related to karma in the table below.
Schema FMC00.239 shows the archangelic rulers of approx 354 periods for the current cultural age (plus and minus a cultural age). See also Spiritual hierarchies and their eigenperiods for more info on the 354 period. Rudolf Steiner uses this period to describe the nature of current Michael age and the future Oriphiel age.
Schema FMC00.373 sketches the symbols of the Christ in the language of the stars and the zodiac signs: the five pointed star, and the symbol Pi.
Schema FMC00.373A depicts Schema FMC00.373 using the zodiac clock (Schema FMC00.029). Double click in new tab to enlarge.
See Note  - 'The Christ Impulse in the starry script' in the Discussion area below. See also Schema FMC00.020 on Holy Supper symbolism - apostles
Schema FMC00.376 provides an synthetic overview of the Christ Impulse with its four main interventions in the development of humanity ('I' in red), how the Christ was observed by initiates in the current epoch ('O' in grey), how the Christ will manifest in the higher worlds in the next cultural ages ('M' in blue), and the workings of the Christ Impulse per period of 800 years '(W' in green). Lecture references are given as indication but not exhaustively, for these refer to the corresponding topic pages. More detail in FMC00.376A below.
This 'includes' the Schemas FMC00.082 and FMC00.081 above, and provides a seamless connection to Schema FMC00.373A.
Schema FMC00.376A provides more detail on FMC00.376.
It includes comments (below) from a lecture from 1915 studied by Maximilian Rebholz in the 1940s, long before the GA, but for which the exact lecture date was apparently missing. As Schema FMC00.120 on Rudolf Steiner's Gesamtausgabe (GA) shows, one has to remain conscious of the fact that more than a quarter of Rudolf Steiner's lectures don't have official notes. However in the first decades notes were exchanged between students, and hence it is always possible that lecture notes appear or are found back, or did not make it to the official registry in Dornach. This was certainly the case in the 1940s, knowing that Rebholz was a diligent collector of materials for decades.
Schema FMC00.371 shows how our state of soul brings us closer to the Christ Impulse.
Lecture coverage and references
It will permeate the totality of human souls, who will rise out of the corpse of the Earth, out of the earthly dross.
The Christ Being, together with the totality of human souls, ascends further into the spiritual realms, in order later to come to the next incorporation of the Earth, which in Spiritual Science we call Future Jupiter
When we look back we remember what came to pass at the Baptism by John in the Jordan, when Christ revealed Himself in a human form, visible on the earth among mankind. Further, we will fill our souls with the thought of how, as regards His outer form, Christ then united Himself with the Hierarchy of the Angels and has since that time lived invisibly in the sphere of the earth. Let us remember what has been said: that in the invisible worlds there is no death. Christ Himself, because He descended to our world, passed through a death similar to that of human beings. When he again became a spiritual being, he still retained the remembrance of his death; but as a being of the rank of the angels in which he continued to manifest himself outwardly, he could experience only a diminution of consciousness.
The angelic being, who since then has been the outer form asumed by Christ, suffered an extinction of consciousness in the course of the intervening nineteen centuries as a result of the opposing materialistic forces that had been brought into the spiritual worlds by materialistic human souls who had passed through the gate of death. This onset of unconsciousness in the spiritual worlds will lead to the resurrection of the Christ-consciousness in the souls of men on Earth between birth and death in the twentieth century.
(not on rsarchive, extract freely translated).
Note: the first two millenia are covered on The Christ Impulse from the 1st to the 20th century
In the period of 800 BC until our times, humanity consumes the last herited divine forces. Then a null-point takes place with the MoG, and it works into humanity. The stimulating powers of the Christ Impulse worked differently in the period after MoG, coming from different planes or worlds of consciousness.
- Sketching this we can first consider the period of the first 800 years after Christ. In this period these powers worked from the higher spirit world. Human intelligence failed to understand (gnosis) the Christ Impulse as it worked in human facts and occurences (re Maxentius and Konstantin). We still see a final stage and transition of this period with the work of Scotus Erigena around 850. In his system of thought, the Christ impuls is still working as a force radiating from the higher spirit world into the physical world.
- In the period between 800 to 1600 AD, this impuls works from the lower spirit world into the physical world. People look to approach their souls to the Christ Impulse with and in various forms and presentations. Thought shows itself to be inappropriate and all considerations unfruitful. Neither the crusades nor all attempts to prove God succeed in bringing about an inner lively connection of the soul. At the transition to the next period stands the virgin of Orleans. Her soul experience reveals the Christ Impulse from the spirit world, and it is in this name she intervenes in shaping human history.
- The spiritual influence working from the higher spirit world gets lost in Man ever more. These forces become ever weaker, and the impulse now works from about 1600 into our times only from the astral world. In this period theology becomes ever more learned and abstract. The cosmic divine being of Christ is replaced slowly by the 'simple man of Nazareth'. Still, our time would have fallen into materialism a great deal more, and penetrated from this antichristian impuls even more, if it were not for the influence of the Christ Impulse in special ways from the astral world. In the 15th and 16th centuries strange stories appeared everywhere, that spread across the western world. Across the most varied places in all countries of Europe, Man appeared: very poorly clothed, calloused feet, very long hair .. that told the story that they where there when the Mystery of Golgotha appeared, and they had seen the Christ walk the Earth. However, as he passed their house, they had not shown respect or reverence but had insulted and scorned him. That is why since they had to go around without any rest or further development, as repentance. This is referred to as the 'eternal [or wandering] jew'. These men told their stories as from memory. They were taken up by people everywhere, were received by bishops and prelates. In these men an insight into the akasha chronicle lives, and these men could not do otherwise, then through their whole way of living, appear so as to witness the Christ event. Their other consciousness was clouded, but through the Impulse from the astral world they could have this view from experience. Through this, these men were saved from the antichristianity and materialism that was grabbing hold of humanity.
- Then from 2400 AD onwards, an age will follow where the forces towards an understanding of the Christ will only come from the Earth.
- In this age Christ will work from the physical plane into men. In our times the precursors herald that which will be substantial after 2400: the Christ will reveal himself on the physical plane in etheric form.
In this way, we see how the working of the Christ Impulse, rolling off in periods from 800 to 800 years, is related to the impulses from the spiritual world.
[reference to Steiner's books about the evolution of human 'I' consciousness in the same period]
[then follows the description of the nature of living thought for an understanding of the Christ - see Enlivened images and Christ Module 15 - Study of Spiritual Science and the Mystery of Golgotha
 - The Christ Impulse in the starry script
Schema FMC00.373A follows from lecture 1906-10-04-GA091, combined with lecture 1905-02-02-GA090B. In both lectures, Steiner uses the language of the zodiac signs to describe both the development of Man across epochs at a high level (GA090B), and the Christ's impact especially in the current and next two epochs (GA091).
Both lectures were published as recent volumes in the GA and have not been translated, however see Zodiac streams: seven and five for an extract of the 1905 lecture.
For a view on the Christ as the Lion, see Christ Module 9: Trinity and Logoi#.5B2.5D - Christ as Lion and Sun Cherub. In point [9C] above on that pages are given references to various descriptions, (a) to (f).
1 - Christ in the sixth epoch
The future of the Christ follows in the Sixth epoch, especially in the fifth to seventh cultural ages. The fifth cultural age is really where the Christ Impulse will blossom.
An enabling forebode is the further development of the spiritual physiology of Man in the fourth cultural age.
Not Man today, but rather see Schema FMC00.176 on Man past and future; shortened recap copy from that page (our wordings):
In the sixth epoch, Man's form will change: the current two legs and right arm will disappear, the current organs will develop and three main organs will remain: the heart as Buddhi-organ, the two-petalled lotus-flower between the eyes will develop two wings and be the motive organ of will, an organ of movement, arising from metamorphosis of the left side of the chest, and the left hand. Man will ‘fly’ and make use of two last of these organs.The pineal gland and pituitary glands and sympathetic nervous system will give rise to a second spinal column. Ida & Pingala will merge with Sushumna and become one. In the seventh epoch the two spinal columns will merge into one.
On that picture now superimpose Schema FMC00.092 on Development of the chakras. Now look at Schema FMC00.373A which provides a similar view. It is clear that, whereas Man will be partly spiritualized in the sixth epoch, the astral physiology develops and the chakras will provide a direct connection with the spiritual realities, just as our senses today do for the mineral realm.
2 - Reunion with the Sun, and third 'father' impulse
Note that the sixth epoch will also provide recapitulation of the previous epochs, and the sixth cultural age is then really when the new is created, see Schema FMC00.168 on Recapitulation.
From contemplating the above two lectures, together with and against a basis of spiritual scientific knowledge, can be put forth the following. It is advised to study the two lectures in depth and also laterally with the links provided.
Schema FMC00.373 (middle) depicts the evolution of Man from the lower to the higher, from Fishes to Gemini. FMC00.373 (right) shows how that is done, from a separation in Libra, splitting two tracks in development that is then brough together over time to the convergence point Gemini.
The fact that Steiner mentions that in the Seventh epoch, Christ will be fully descended from heaven, and lives with its full power in humanity, points to the period after the reunion with the Sun. It is not so far fetched to see Gemini as the period of that merger.
This is further supported by various other small points, eg Schema FMC00.185 shows the third atma impulse for spiritualization in the sixth epoch. This could be seen fitting into the above, as the new development in the sixth age of the sixth epoch.
More on the Father impulse, see: Mysteries of the Spirit, the Son and the Father#.5B2.5D - About the Father impulse
3 - Second Hyperborean epoch
The lecture 1906-10-04-GA091 contains an interesting statement in two places, and given these are notes from Mathilde Scholl in a private teaching session, it is rather unlikely that it is an error. In fact, this statement appears in other places too.
Here are the two quotes:
.. In the sixth cultural age, the risen Christ will be declared, in the fifth age of the Sixth epoch he stands again in the heavens and on Earth, at that time Man stars the understands the sign of the Lion as the sign of the being who, in the second and fifth epochs came down from heaven to have his whole power (penetrate and) embed into Man.
.. Then the number Pi also reaches its fulfillment, as Pi is the sign for the force of the Lion in Man, which in the seventh cultural age of the Sixth epoch draws into Man. Pi = Gemini + Lion. Then humanity will be very consciously under the lead of the Cherubim with the Lion head, who brought its power into Man in the second epoch, and who overcame the enemy of humanity in the fifth epoch by killing the dragon.
Usually the key moment in evolution is given as the middle of the third Lemurian epoch, with the Jehovah impulse and the separation of the Moon. At that time however the six SoF (Elohim) had left with the separation of the Sun, and one (Jehovah) had stayed with the Earth, until he too separated off with the Moon. A key event as shown on Schema FMC00.185, and the start of the Book of Genesis.
Whereas for Man the separation of Moon and the Jehovah impulse was obviously a key milestone in the development, cosmically the separation of the Sun was even more drastic. The second epoch was a recapitulation of the second CoL (see Schemas FMC00.057C and FMC00.298 on Earth rounds perspective). After the Sun, also Mercury and Venus communities separated off as separate planets. The separation of the Sun is described on the page Hyperborean epoch, where we can read:
.. the sun separated from the Earth: the present Earth plus the present moon. On the sun remained the beings who are the spiritual directors of earthly events. When they came over from Old Moon there were seven such beings; in Genesis these seven Spirits of Light are called Elohim. For a time they went through their evolution together with the Earth, then they drew forth the sun so that they could now work upon the Earth from the sun. Six of them united their existence with the actual cosmic sun, and one, known in the Old Testament as Jehovah, separated from them and remained at first united with the earth. He guided and directed the earthly evolution from within, while the others worked upon it from without.
The influence of the SoF working from outside of Man, was the major influence in the second epoch, and it was required for the development of Man.
Another idea one could contemplate or entertain is the fact that Christ 'came down' from the higher realms in the second epoch, because this is literally what it says in1906-10-04-GA091: 'came down from heaven'.
To 'see' this: double click Schema FMC00.077B where column 'Earth' shows how the second Logos comes into our solar system evolution 'through the SoW gate' (see Christ's descent to Earth#1912-04-13-GA136)
 - Various further notes (draft)
See also Discussion area Nostradamus regarding prophecies