Christ Module 2 - Nature of the Christ being
The Christ can be approached in different ways:
- the historical Christ, as in the person of Christ Jesus that lived 2000 years ago
- the mystical or inner Christ that lives in the heart of every person
- the resurrection cosmic Christ that lives as the spirit of the Earth and in the astral atmosphere of the Earth
This module is to develop an understanding
- of the nature of the Jesus (as a human being), and the nature of the Christ as a spiritual being, in order to be able to understand the spiritual entity of Christ Jesus and what this being enacted on Earth.
- of how the Christ Impulse is thereby central to the development of humanity and the solar system evolution from Old Sun to Future Venus, and how this is not limited to the Mystery of Golgotha as a one-off event, but concerns the 'lifecycle development' or evolution of the Christ being
- the three ways of seeing the Christ: historical, mystical, cosmic (see 1910-01-14-GA117A and 1910-01-15-GA117A)
- the distinction between historical and mystical inner Christ is also presented in 1912-02-22-GA069D, 1912-11-16-GA069D, 1913-11-15-GA069D and 1914-01-10-GA069D
- the Gospel of John as a way from the historical to the mystical Christ (in 1910-01-15-GA117A)
- the difference between exoteric and esoteric nature of christianity (1902-04-05-GA087)
- the essential nature of the Christ is the principle of unconditional brotherly love and selflessness dimension of all (see also the link with the nature of 'budhi' and 'not me but the Christ in me')
- the nature of budhi
- budhi is the life-spirit (in Man the transformed ether body), Christ left his life spirit in the atmosphere of the Earth (1924-08-27-GA240)
- human budhi mediates insight: the planetary spirit is a giver of thoughts, and human budhi a receiver (1904-11-09-GA089)
- on the para nirvana plane love, or budhi, rules (The budhi plane is beatific and absolute, loving dedication to the divine) (1904-11-10-GA089)
- budhi is devoted (not receptive) love, a symbol is the brooding warmth of a hen sitting on its eggs, conjuring up a new life with its own warmth, sacrificing its own existence in love for the new life. Imagine this element (transferred to the spiritual) in the human nature (main 1906-02-15-GA054, also 1906-06-09-GA094)
- the nature of budhi
- names of Christ
- through the ages (Schema FMC00.090 below)
- the only true name of Christ is 'I am' (1909-05-27-GA266/1), see also IAO
- the universal soul that flows through the universe was called Chrestós in Greece, and is known in the East as buddhi, and is called life-spirit (1905-12-14-GA054, 1906-02-15-GA054)
- Christophori, see Principle of spiritual economy
- Christ as a Sun-god, see Threefold Sun
- relationship with Jehovah
- relationship with Archangel Michael
Christ-Jesus scope reference table
What is the nature of the Christ being that descended and merged with the body of Jesus, and is now with humanity as the spirit of the Earth?
To build a comprehensive picture, an appreciation is needed of various aspects of the Christ being as listed below in Schema FMC00.050 and FMC00.050A. They are put in logical sequential order and can be mapped to Christ Module 3 - Evolutionary framework.
- the historical Christ is mainly points 7 to 12 with focus on 11,
- the cosmic Christ include all other aspects from 1 to 15,
- the mystical or inner Christ - probably the most important for Man individually - is expanded in Christ study modules 15 to 21.
- The four Gospels inform us about aspects 8 and 9, and especially aspects 11 to 13.
- Rudolf Steiner's commentaries on these, as well as additional lecture cycles, inform us about all the others. The Fifth Gospel adds aspect 10 specifically.
- Christ as creator of the current solar system
- Christ on Old Sun
- Christ on Old Moon - with Lucifer on Old Moon + evolution to macroscoscopic I
- Separation of the Sun
- Three pre-MoG interventions of Christ (in the Lemurian and Atlantean epochs)
- Descent of the Adam sister soul
- Christ's descent to Earth over various cultural ages - link with Krishna impulse, Zarathustra Buddha
- Preparations in Jesus hereditary tree of descent (of Hebrew generations)
- The two Jesus children - their birth and lives upto age 12 - Birth of two children and their merger at age 12
- Fifth gospel coverage between ages 12 and 30
- The Baptism
- Three years of Christ Jesus
- Mystery of Golgotha (MoG), from before until the resurrection;
- After the resurrection: covering ascension, Pentecost, Christ becoming spirit of the Earth
- The Christ Impulse from the 1st to the 20th century (note: 20th century is special, see also Christ Module 19 - experiencing the Christ))
- Christ in the future cultural ages and next epochs (for the current century, see also : Christ Module 19 - experiencing the Christ as well as Christ in the etheric
- End of Earth and second Adam and group soul humanity
- Future Jupiter
- Future Venus
Other aspects covered in dedicated modules
This module does not go into:
- Christ in relation to the spiritual hierarchies, the Logos and the Trinity are covered on Christ Module 9 - Trinity and Logoi
- Christ as the Mystical Lamb (for this, see Christ Module 7 - Cosmic dimension)
- the Thirty three year rhythm of impulses, related to the life of Christ-Jesus
These aspects provides information, knowledge. To know the Christ however is also a deep soul feeling and realization of the essence of love, in its purest and most encompassing form. So one who lives the unconditional love towards every human being, loves his fellow human being like a parent loves his children today, this person knows the Christ better even if that person knows nothing of the above.
The above therefore is a descriptive biography with facts to satisfy intellectual curiosity but also to build a feeling connection to the Christ being.
Schema FMC00.050 provides an overview table on the 18 main stages through which we study the nature of The Christ, from the Old Sun to the Future Venus planetary stages.
Schema FMC00.050A shows the original draft sketch and old table to get an overview of how, to get closer to an understanding of the Christ, we need to follow all clues on the nature of that being from the Old Sun to the Future Venus planetary stages. In this scope we can easily point to more than a dozen different aspects for further study. The table has been superseded with the update of Schema FMC00.050, so the below is just retained for the graphical representation, which will be updated in a cleaned up version.
Schema FMC00.429 provides sketches with description of how to imagine Christ's 'descent' to Earth
Schema FMC00.017 provides an overview on the 33 years period of the life of Christ-Jesus, with milestone events and coverage by the four gospels. It also provides a reference for the complementary coverage in the 18 lectures of the Fifth Gospel, read from the akashic records by Rudolf Steiner. See also clairvoyant research of akashic records. With the fifth gospel, confirmation and additional perspective was given of existing passages in the gospels (eg pentecost, temptation), but especially the period before and leading upto the Baptism is key. It shows the accumulated pains and suffering in the figure of Jesus between age 12 and 30, realizing the state of affairs on Earth and caring for the fate and future of humanity.
Schema FMC00.090 lists the various names of Christ across the ages:
See also FMC00.267 on Threefold Sun
Schema FMC00.080 gives an overview of the structure of Christ-Jesus is presented in the following schema. There is a deep meaning behind each component in this table, as well as the stepwise development of this structure. For more info see the table with aspects above.
Schema FMC00.080A is an extended version of FMC00.080 whereby information of the higher triad is added. The Nathan Jesus child carried a 'pure' higher triad, a spiritual being and structure that also worked in the Krishna Impulse and The being of Elijah.
FMC00.246 shows how the evolutionary forces of Spirits of Form (SoF) enabling the faculties of Walking, Speaking, Thinking, were brought into harmony through Christ impulse in the three pre-MoG interventions of the Christ. See also 1914-03-07-GA152.
FMC00.359 maps the three years of Christ Jesus on Earth to the phases of Man's life between birth and death, and between death and a new birth.
- Sistine Madonna (Raphael)
- Madonna with two children (Raphael), see The two Jesus children
- Thorvaldsen's Christ - sculpture by Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844) in 1821, with very many copies all over the world
- five known sketches/models of the Christus exist : three plaster models and two pencil drawings (Thorvaldsen's Museum, Copenhagen, Denmark)
Lecture coverage and references
One imagined that in such a way that now no longer only a single human soul lived in him, but that in him something of the universal soul had emerged which flows through the whole universe. In Greece, one called this universal soul, which flows through the whole universe, Chrestós, and the most elated sages of the East know it as buddhi.
The second member of this spiritual essence of the human being is the buddhi or life spirit. This second element in the human soul is something that is expressed with the most developed human beings, with the leaders of humanity in a certain way. We can describe this life spirit in a certain way. This buddhi of the highest glory and sublimity inhabited the old religious founders, Hermes, Buddha, Zarathustra and — in the extreme — Christ Jesus.
If I make clear what this buddhi signifies in the spiritual realm, I can do it only by a symbol. One must behold the spiritual either, or one has to sum up the everlasting in a symbol, like Goethe does who says: “All that is transitory, is only a symbol.” I would like to give such a symbol of buddhi. If you imagine the usual productive strength in the usual sensuous life, combined with love, but not with receptive love, but with devoted love: this is buddhi.
There is in nature no other symbol than the hen, which sits on the egg, conjuring up a new life with its own warmth, sacrificing its own existence in love for the new life.
Now imagine this transferred to the spiritual: imagine an individuality who produces the big, propelling forces, the spiritual impulse in the human nature for the further development in such a way as I have just described, then you have it.
The element of Christian feeling and sensation had been a basic strength since two millennia. It flowed as blessing through the Western hearts and fulfilled them with bliss.
Did Christ not generate it and did it not exist in Christ?
Was it not brought into this world with the highest glory, showing that spiritually, which lives in the sensuous, the devoted love which creates — which does not create a human being, but spiritual love which brings forth the universal wisdom, for centuries?
Imagine this element in the human nature, and then we have what we call Christ in the Christian mysticism, Chrestós in the Greek mysticism, buddhi in the Eastern mysticism, the life spirit in its highest potentiality.
Everybody who feels something of that which it means to produce spiritually what is incorporated as a force in the human development, everybody who feels something of it has a feeling of spiritual, bright clearness like that which expresses itself here below by a symbol, the true blissful sensation with which the chicken sits on the egg. This is buddhi. It exists in every single human being to a certain extent, at least as disposition.
Think of a hen sitting on its eggs. It is wholly given up to this brooding activity and is filled with a kind of warm, almost voluptuous pleasure in which there arises a dreamy pre-vision of the hatching of the little winged chicken. This bliss in the work of creation exists at every stage of cosmic life, and warmth pours from it. In the sphere of Cosmic Intelligence — which may be conceived as the world of thoughts accessible to the higher Self (Manas) — this warmth seems to pervade the whole universe, emanating from the creative life of soul (Budhi). We can divine the presence of a creative sphere in existence before our Earth and ‘brooding’ over it. This is to ascend from Spirit-Self to Life-Spirit, and from Life-Spirit to Spirit-Man.
The only true name of Christ is 'I am'. Who does not know this or understand this and calls him otherwise, knows nothing at all about him. 'I am' is his only name.
 - Christ on Old Moon (incl. with Lucifer on Old Moon + evolution to macroscoscopic I)
.. the Old Moon condition is no longer in existence, it has to be described by means of a consciousness that can function without an object present to hand .. from the Akashic Record. So that for the first consciousness of a higher kind we have, besides the Story of the Temptation, all the processes that can be said to have relation to the Old Moon. .. And now I want to draw your attention to something else. There is deep significance in the fact that from among the many kinds of experience man acquires through the first higher consciousness, I chose the story of the Temptation.
For when we direct the same consciousness to the Old Moon, we find there a repetition of the story of the Temptation. (I say a repetition, but naturally it took place long before!) It is really so. We learn how Christ already on the Old Moon overcame Lucifer, and in the scene that is given us in the Gospels we have to see, as it were, a recurrence of the fact that Christ attained to victory over Lucifer.
On Earth Christ repels Lucifer from the outset. This is because on Old Moon, when He was Himself less highly evolved — for Christ also undergoes evolution — He had repelled, through the uttermost devotion of His Being to Highest Powers, all the attacks of Lucifer which at that time still meant something to Him. Already on old Moon Lucifer approached Christ. On Earth he was no longer dangerous to Him: on Earth Christ repels Lucifer at once. On the Moon, however, Christ had to exert all the forces at His disposal in order to repel Lucifer. This is then the added experience that comes to us when we cast back the gaze of higher consciousness into the remote time of Moon.
1912-06-12-GA137 also contains the following statement on Christ's – upward evolution since Old Sun, now regent of whole solar system
We must let these scenes live before us, we must learn to see the divergence that came about during the old Sun time between the path of Lucifer and the path of Christ. Lucifer went downward, he had to remain behind in his evolution, and he remained behind also during the Moon time. Christ went forward. The Christ Spirit, the Sun Spirit, became a Spirit evolving ever forward until at length He was able to appear on Earth in the Form we have often described. Through His devotion to the World All, through His having received and identified Himself with the Divinely Creative, Inexpressible Word, through His having rejected every sort of pride and put always in its place devotion to the Word of the Worlds, — Christ, from being Ruler of a single planet, as He was in the ancient Sun time, became Ruler from the Sun over all the planets, the other planets being reckoned as part of the realm of the Sun. When you know this — I am speaking here more particularly to those who heard my lectures in Helsingfors [Note 1] — knowing this, you will not feel it as a contradiction that Christ is spoken of in those lectures as a Sun Spirit of a higher kind than the Spirits of the planets. For there of course we were speaking of the present day. Christ is far above the other planetary Spirits. He is the Spirit of the Sun. Here, however, where we are not merely describing how the individual planetary bodies are quickened to life by their Spirits, but where our task is above all to describe the several states of consciousness, we have to show how Christ through His own special character and nature has, during the course of the evolution that has taken place between old Sun and the present time, passed through an upward evolution, and from having been a Spirit who was of like nature with the planetary Spirits has become the Ruler or Regent of the whole solar system.
 - separation of the Sun
Let us now fix our attention on the point of time when the Sun has just separated from the Earth.
When this separation took place, the two planets Venus and Mercury — I am giving them their astronomical names — were still within the Sun. The Earth alone separated off, Venus and Mercury remaining within the Sun. We have therefore now Sun and Earth. On Earth, evolution continues. Only a small number of human beings remain behind; others go up to the planets, to return again later on.
With the Sun went also Beings; for the world does not consist just of external matter, but of Beings. Beings went with the Sun when it separated from the Earth. And their Leader is the Christ.
For at the time in Earth evolution when the Sun separated from the Earth, what one may call the taking precedence by the Christ over Lucifer and the other planetary Spirits had already come to fulfilment.
 - Christ Jesus vs Jesus Christ
Note the use of the term 'Christ Jesus' and not 'Jesus Christ'. The main player here enacting a unique fact in the history of the solar system is Christ, and he did so having become Man in the body of Jesus. It is an important distinction to show we are talking, in the first place, about a divine being here. This is not a detail but it quite fundamental.
Indeed also 1918-08-19-GA183 mentions it explicitly:
.. it is Man's task to understand how the Christ dwells in him ... For Christ has descended to mankind. Jesus is a human being in whom the Christ has dwelt. True human self-knowledge must be the bearer of the germinal impulse of Jesus, so that it is possible to move on, into the future. It is deeply significant that we speak of Christ Jesus. For Christ correctly corresponds to the human aspect; but this cosmic element has come down to the Earth and has taken up his abode in Jesus.
and this specifically in the context of Ahrimanic in both Americanism and Jesuit movement
If there is an endeavour to sever Man's connection with the spiritual world, he will also lose his connection with Christ. The possibility then arises to make use of Jesus in such as way that the Earth continues to exist only in its earthly aspect. You will therefore find in Jesuitism a continual battle against Christology and a strong emphasis on there being an army for Jesus.
- Christ - base study modules 1 to 7
- Threefold Sun and Sun
- Thirthy three years rhythm
- Christology and interpretations
References and further reading
- Thorvaldsen's Christ
- Emilie E Douglas: 'Thorvaldsen's Christ and the twelve apostles in the Church of Our Lady (Vor Frue Kirke) Copenhagen' (1934)
- On the Statue of Christ by Thorvaldsen (1997)
- Matthew O. Richardson: 'The Christus Legacy' (2007)