The two Jesus children
The incarnation of Christ into a human being requires special preparations for the human body. The human being Jesus that became the receptacle for the Christ being was not an ordinary human at all; in fact each of the bodily structural elements of Jesus at the Baptism was prepared in special ways (see schema FMC00.043 below).
The pathway of preparation upto the Baptism is grouped under the topic of the two Jesus children, because of the two different Jesus children that were born and became one or 'merged structurally' in the temple story at age 12. Each of the two children had a different preparatory path with a different geneology, as per gospels of Luke and Matthew. Many artworks (e.g. Italian painters in the middle ages) and sources (e.g. the scrolls of the dead sea) mention these two children, see references below for books who have grouped these sources.
The reason why this complex preparatory path was necessary (1909-09-20-GA114) is because Christ needed not just to join his spirit with the Earth, but become Man in each of Man's bodily principles downto the mineral physical body (see schema FMC00.080). This happened at age 30 for specific reasons; several aspects are to be considered together:
- the normal development of a human being and its bodily principles upto that age, and
- the requirements for a high divine being to merge into a human being
- the principles of spiritual economy, the possibilities that exist to re-use pure and advanced bodily components
Schema FMC00.080 below gives an overview of the structure of Christ-Jesus:
- The Nathan Jesus had a pure ether body (not infected by Luciferian influences since the Fall), and an astral body infused by Buddha.
- The Solomon Jesus had the advanced I-consciousness of Zarathustra that moved into the body of the Nathan Jesus at age 12, necessary for the development upto age 30 (as laid out in Rudolf Steiner's lectures on the Fifth Gospel).
- the merger of the Buddha and Zarathustra streams (see below).
- besides the two Jesus children, two more souls play a key role in the complete script of development (See Schema FMC00.043 and the Discussion section below.
- one was John (Lazarus-John initiated by Christ-Jesus, and the author of the Gospel and book of Revelation),
- the other the mother of Jesus.
Schema FMC00.043 gives an overview on the two pathways for the two Jesus-children, see also FMC00.080 below. (download FMC00.043 in PDF).
The schema can be viewed on high resolution by clicking and zooming in, or downloading the JPG or PDF versions.
Schema FMC00.098 shows paintings by Da Vinci (left), Raphael's Madonna del Duca di Terranuova (middle), and a work by an unknown painter.
Schema FMC00.098 shows some pictures of the scene in the temple at age 12 by Ambrogio Bergognone, Defedente Ferrari, and a greek icon.
FMC00.080 gives an overview of the structure of Christ-Jesus, for the three left columns refer to schema FMC00.043.
Lecture coverage and references
In 1910-01-03-GA117A and 1910-01-08-GA117A the merger of the Buddha and Zarathustra streams is discussed with a link not just to the gospels of Luke and Matthew, but also those of Mark and John.
In 1905-08-14-GA091 the four evangelists are linked to the transitions between cultural ages, see also FMC00.021A. (between cultural ages, read: different spirits of the age, or Archai .. whereby one can also consider the cyclic 'round robbin' within a hierarchy, see the 1910-06-07-GA121 reference at the topic of repetition).
- Da Vinci's Virgin of the Rocks shown in FMC00.097 is the original and first Paris version. The story goes the church didn't accept it and Da Vinci changed one of the children to show John Baptist, this is the London version.
- Raphael's showing of John Baptist together with the two Jesus children may have deeper meaning, given the mystery of John the Baptist and Lazarus-John (see below).
- Regarding the painting on the right. The artworks are not limited to the most famous one gathered in the books below. Surprisingly the Cathedral of Santa Maria Duomo di Cortona contains the theme of two Jesus children appearing in at least three places in this old church (download PDF)
Mystery of John
Rudolf Steiner's last address on 1924-09-28-GA238 contains a cryptic message regarding the relationship between John Baptist and Lazarus-John. See also Richard Seddon: 'The challenge of Lazarus-John', Karl König: 'The mystery of John', Sergei O. Prokofieff 'The mystery of John the Baptist and John the evangelist'.
See explanation on Mystery of John.
The special role of John and the mother of Jesus
Schema FMC00.043 shows how both John and the mother of Jesus appear as key players. There is the important relation between the souls of Nathan-Jesus and John as descendant from the stream of Adam, but the gospels contain many more touchpoints and clues, eg at the cross when Jesus gives John the mission to carry the story into the world. Similarly so for the 'mother of Jesus', see eg the book with selection of Steiner lectures 'Isis Mary Sophia' (2003).
Daskalos wrote the book 'Joshua Immanuel The Christ – His Life on Earth and His Teaching' (EN version 2001-13) in Greek and Aramaic in the last years of his life, and it contains a fragment where he speaks of the special figures being sent for the Mystery of Golgotha besides Joshua (Jesus), all of them he describes as
.. archangel of the order of the principalities [editor: archai] humanized by immaculate conception ..
and he continues to list three names:
- the Virgin Mary,
- Yiohannan ('the first cousin of Joshua and his beloved companion-disciple'), - see coverage on Christian Rosenkreutz for the Individuality of John
- Yiohannan the Baptist ('also a first cousin of the God-man'). - see The being of Elijah
What he means with the archangel orders listed is not obvious (though the 'order of the Maha-Els' means the order of Michael). The point however is that even besides Christ Jesus we are not having to do with 'ordinary human beings'.
- the Mysteries of the Father where it is made clear that the initiators were not human but divine beings
- Schema FMC00.313 on Three classes of Buddhas, and the concept of Dhyani-Buddha
References and further reading
- Emil Bock:
- 'Die Kindheit Jesu. Zwei apokryphe Evangelien' (1924 in DE)
- 'The childhood of Jesus : the unknown years' (1939 in DE, 2007 in EN)
- Daskalos: 'Joshua Immanuel The Christ – His Life on Earth and His Teaching' (EN version 2001-13)
- Edward Reaugh Smith: 'The Incredible Births of Jesus' (1998)
- Hella Krause-Zimmer (1919-2002):
- 'Die zwei Jesusknaben in der bildenden Kunst' (2001)
- Was geschah in Bethlehem?: Das Rätsel der doppelten Weihnachtsgeschichte (2011)
- David Ovason: 'The Two Children (A Study of the Two Jesus Children in Literature and Art)' (2001)
- Bernard Nesfield-Cookson: 'The Mystery of the Two Jesus Children (And the Descent of the Spirit of the Sun)' (2005)
- Christoph Rau: 'The Two Jesus Boys - And the Messianic Expectations of the Essenes' (original in DE 2010 as 'Die beiden Jesusknaben und die dreifache Messiaserwartung der Essener' (2010), EN in 2019 translation by Alan Stott and Michael Stott)
Unqualified: about the Dead Sea scrolls
- Esbeth Weymann: 'Zepter und Stern - Die Erwartung von zwei Messiasgestalten in den Schriftrollen von Qumran' (1993)