The three Logoi
Creation. God. That is what this page is all about.
What lies at the origin of it all, of the cosmos and the whole of creation?
Short introductory explanation
See schema FMC00.060 below. First there was the Logos, pure spiritual light. Now one could say, something happened, or it is an intrinsic property, that out of pure love, the First Logos wanted to sacrifice its own being to give it to its mirror image created. This mirror image is the Second Logos.
The Second Logos now has a duality. It has the reflected image of the First Logos (that it can shine back, so nothing new here), but it also has received and taken Life, and that is new, this gift of unconditional giving and sacrifice is called Love.
Through a second sacrifice or mirroring both Logoi and their relationship were again mirrored and this gave rise to the Third Logos.
The Third Logos now consists of the opposite of the outstreaming light, which is darkness; the opposite of love or the unconditional life received, which is absolute longing or desire; and thirdly the reflected mirror image again.
We see here a 'three-in-one' appearing . The three aspects of the Third Logos we call the gunas: Tamas, Rajas, and Sattwa.
From the schema, note that with the Third Logos 'the light shines back from the darkness'.
- Imagine you want, out of pure love, to sacrifice yourself to your mirror image. Give up your own existence (as spiritual light of the world, say ‘first logos’) and transfer it to your mirror image (call it ‘second logos’). The nature and life of the First Logos that gives itself in sacrifice is pure love.
Through this process the first Logos gets conscious awareness
- The Second Logos has received and accepted this sacrifice from the first Logos and now consists of a duality of two things: life and content
- 1) the reflected mirror image or content, and
- 2) the existence it has received (and the ability to shine back to the first logos), which is something new that we call life.
The second Logos is the creative substance of Life.
- Multiplicity in the cosmos comes through a further sacrifice wherein the above – including the relationship between the two Logoi - is mirrored. A Third Logos gets created and consists of a reflection of the two other Logoi and existing aspects.
- 1) the mirror image or opposite of the first logos or light, hence: spiritual darkness. We call this aspect 'Tamas'
- 2) the opposite of pure love and sacrifice, being: absolute desire. We call this aspect 'Rajas'
- 3) the image of the first logos itself, we call this aspect 'Sattwa'.
- Tamas, Rajas and Sattwa are called the three Gunas in the Hindu Samkya system and are mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita. They correspond to the three aspects in the third Logos. See more about their combinations in the Seven creative spirits
The Third Logos is life manifest in Form.
- Consciousness, Life and Form are the three fundamental characteristics, see explanation above and Schema FMC00.064 below
- The three outpourings are covered on Creation by the three logoi
- With reference to the planes or worlds of consciousness: the First logos is on the mahapara-nirvana planes, the Second Logos is at para-nirvana, and the Third Logos starts its mirroring down from the Nirvana plane. See also Schema FMC00.062 on Creation by the three logoi
Schema FMC00.060 symbolizes the principle of the creative relationships of the Trinity and Three Logoi. At its foundation lies pure love and sacrifice.
Schema FMC00.064 provides a synthesis of a number of aspects of the Three Logoi and the three primal oustreamings:
Lecture coverage and references
Probably the very best reference lecture is 1904-11-10-GA089. This lecture and the one from the day before, 1904-11-09-GA089, are very important for in-depth study. They are also examples showing how the contemporary published english translations do not contain what is in the original manuscripts and typoscripts. And with 11 different copies of those availalable for both lectures (see steinerdatenbank) , they are also case examples to show how certain editing sometimes makes erroneous changes.
Volume GA089 is the key one for this topic, it also has 1904-07-02-GA089, 1904-07-04-GA089 and 1904-07-07-GA089, and another undated private instruction. Then there is also GA088 with three lectures.
The other lectures are scattered, ao:
- 1908-05-18-GA103 GA103 - Gospel of John: Lecture I: The Doctrine of the Logos
- 1924-LT137-139-GA026 - Anthroposophical Leading Thoughts A Christmas Study: The Mystery of the Logos
References and further reading