History as it is taught, is what Rudolf Steiner called a 'fable convenu', made up by Man. To make the link to understanding one needs to connect to realities, and this contains two perspectives (see schema FMC00.059):
- the difference between the official version of world events and history, and the truth, see 'the victor writes the history books', and 'the karma of untruthfulness'
- the difference between what the 'materialistic world conception' (the worldview based on mineral science) believes as the mechanism of causal origin and result, versus the true underlying spiritual rhythms and realities underlying historical development
- importance of the evolution of consciousness in the various cultural ages and beyond, due to ever changing soul constitution of Man.
- waves of reincarnating souls bringing forth impulses (and not just a mechanistic view of reaction to action, consequence to cause in a materialistic worldview without impulses of the spirit)
- 354 years - see the Archangel rulership under Spiritual hierarchies and their eigenperiods
- 33 years - see Thirty three years rhythm
- 20 and 800 years - see Conjunctions
- impact of comets - eg Halley
Schema FMC00.059 positions history 'as we are told' to what can be read clairvoyantly as objective truth in the akashic records, and how true history is an emanation and expression of spiritual impulses that are carried by waves of reincarnating human souls.
Lecture coverage and references
1917-09-25-GA176 comments on the 30 years war and the rosecrucian impulse. What eventually happened in the 20th century after these words, was a second 30 year war from 1914-1945, countering the impulse of anthroposophy and the appearance of Christ in the etheric.
The Thirty Years' War prevented the realization of a spiritual movement visualized by Johann Valentin Andreae. Unless a sufficient number of people wake up to an understanding of the spiritual aspect of our time there is a real danger of what ought to happen being again prevented.
In the year 1613 Johann Valentin Andrae wrote The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz; the book appeared in 1616. During the years from 1614 to 1617 Valentin Andrae wrote other works in which he expresses the thoughts and feelings of his time. One of his books has as its subtitle: "To the Princes and Heads of States." Andrae wanted to show that what man believes himself to be and what he believes others to be is maya, is a great illusion. He wanted man to have the opportunity to learn to know his true self and that of others. He had in mind a great spiritual movement and had given much thought and preparation to its realization. Two outstanding events were in preparation at that time: the movement Valentin Andrae wanted, and the Thirty Years' War, lasting from 1618 to 1648.
The events that led to the Thirty Years' War made impossible the movement which Johann Valentin Andrae wanted to bring about. Much would have to be said if one were to describe the various causes for this failure. Attempts are often made which fail but which later succeed. There was at that time a possibility that it may have succeeded but it did not.
Today we again find ourselves within two streams, two possibilities, which must of necessity affect one another.
- On the one hand there is Anthroposophy with the impulse to further human evolution;
- on the other hand there is all that which has brought about events, similar in nature to those that caused the Thirty Years' War.
It depends upon mankind whether once again what ought to happen is prevented from happening. Lethargy, love of ease might well paralyze the present attempt. Whether things would then take their course as they did when the attempt made by Valentin Andrae was paralyzed is another matter.
history is a fable convenu, example of discovery of America
An historian will always try to reduce the whole process to the working of a single principle, but that is not how things happen. Directly we cross the threshold of the spiritual world, whether downwards or upwards — it is one and the same — we find that different individualities, relatively independent of each other, are working into these events. We shall never understand the course of events if we assume a single source for them; we shall see them rightly only if in the turbulence of events we reckon with the activities of individualities who are working either with or against each other.
This is something that belongs to the deepest secrets of human evolution. For centuries, even for millennia, it has been obscured by monotheistic feeling, but you must take it into account. If to-day we are to come closer to ultimate questions, we must above all not confuse logic with abstract freedom from contradictions. In a world where independent individualities are simultaneously at work, contradictions are bound to occur, and to expect them not to occur leads to an impoverishment of ideas; to ideas which cannot embrace the whole of reality. The only adequate ideas will be those that are able to grasp a world replete with contradictions, for that is the real world.
1923-12-24-GA233 is called 'World history in the light of anthroposophy' and describes how the soul and body constitution of Man is central to worldview and culture, whereby today this aspect of evolution is not taken into account in history. The lecture goes into detail of sketching this for the faculty of memory.
Everything that has happened in the historical evolution of mankind has its origin and cause in the inner being of man.
We have to let the whole picture of this change in man's soul pass before our eyes in order to realise its significance in the history of man's evolution. It is by observing such things as these that light begins to be thrown upon history.