Earth's inner layers
The Earth as we know it consists of nine different layers or strata, of which the mineral physical earth is only the outermost skin or crust. The interior structure of the earth is related to the evolution of the Earth in its various stages, and the 'moulding' of its bodily structure by the Earth's 'I'.
Schema FMC00.004A gives a simple reference overview table of the nine layers or strata of the earth.
Schema FMC00.004 provides a synthetic study table, summarizing how Rudolf Steiner described the nine inner layers or strata of the Earth, and linking this to the explanatory evolutionary framework by Iwer Thor Lorenzen.
Lorenzen (1969, 1976) explains how the different strata arise as a polarity of contrary forces is working (outwards, inwards) in the solar system macrocosmos, and how the freeing of the different layers in the spirit and astral world corresponds to the formation of these strata alongside the development of the outer etheric spheres of the planets of our solar system (and the physical planets as a result of the opposing spiritual hierarchy). This is linked to the evolutionary pathway of the Earth and its bodily principles, and the 'incarnation' or development of the Earth's 'I' in stages that correspond to the development of humanity's 'I'.
Lecture coverage and references
Rudolf Steiner only covered the interior of the earth in some 3 to 4 lectures in 1906. After that the next contribution came by Adolph Arenson.
Iwer Thor Lorenzen integrated all available info in a cohesive explanatory framework in his book of 1969 (as well in his last book of 1976) - see references below, and Schema FMC00.004 above.
1914-01-12-AA lecture by Adolph Arenson
Johanna Keyserlingk (p 84-85 in 'Birth of a new agriculture' - see Discussion section below)
I: And is the interior of the earth made out of that gold which comes from the hollow cavity in the sun and which is destined to return here?
Rudolf Steiner: Yes, the interior of the earth is of gold.
The kernel of the earth consists of golden fire, around which a dark girdle is cast, the smoke of the mineral realm.
Golden inner kernel
For reference on the Golden inner kernel in the center of the Earth in the context of the Christ, see also:
It is recommended to read Lorenzen's two book references listed below to gain an understanding of what is shown in this table. Also consider FMC00.006 as related to the lectures on the Earth's evolution (eg Genesis).
References and further reading
- Iwer Thor Lorenzen:
- 'Evolution durch Inkarnation und Metamorphose' (1969) - Part 3: Edenentwicklung und Erdinneres
- The 'I'-principle in Man, Earth and Cosmos (1976) - Ch. 5: The Earth as a planetary being and the stages of incarnation of its 'I'
- The Interior of the Earth: An Esoteric Study of the Subterranean Spheres (Rudolf Steiner and Paul V. O'Leary editor) (2007)
- The Inner Life of the Earth: Exploring the Mysteries of Nature, Subnature, and Supranature (Paul V. O'Leary, Dennis Klocek, Robert Powell, Marko Pogacnik, Rachel C. Ross) (2008)
- Notes by Stephen Clarke : 'Some Notes Toward a Resolution of the Dilemma- in reference to Paul V. O’Leary’s 'The Inner Life of the Earth'
- Judith Van Halle: 'Descent into the Depths of the Earth on the Anthroposophic Path of Schooling: On the Anthroposophic Path of Schooling' (2011)